Welcome.


Like any other love affair, my love of hiphop has been complex. There have been times over the years when I wanted to call it quits. Times when hiphop insulted me and took aim at my self-esteem. But there have also been times when my best friend was 16bars. Times when hiphop has been there for me when no one else was. Times when hip hop empowered me and taught me things to which I would have otherwise been left ignorant.

I don't presume to present a history of hiphop or explain the facts of how this genre has impacted society. Rather with this blog I will simply share my thoughts about how hiphop has and continues to affect my life and the world around me as I see it. This is a reflection on my journey through life with hiphop by my side...

Saturday, September 11, 2010

1st Memories of Hip Hop

I can't tell you how old I was but I'm guessing I was around 7 years old when I first met Hip Hop. I also can't tell you exactly which song it was that introduced us. But I know it was one of the following:


"Planet Rock" - Afrika Bambaataa & the Soulsonic Force
"The Message" - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five
"Rapper's Delight" - Sugarhill Gang

Now that I think about it...it had to be "Planet Rock." This is musical representation of my love for Hip Hop. Even today, 28 years after it's release it sounds futuristic and innovative. To me it's like this song gave you permission to express yourself in a new way.

"No work or play, our world is free
Be what you be - be"


Thank you to Afrika Bambaataa & the Soulsonic Force for being my first.








No comments:

Post a Comment